Saturday, March 2, 2019

Love Myself as I Am or Lose the Weight Paradox


From: /r/BodyAcceptance
https://www.reddit.com/r/BodyAcceptance/comments/avl9ms/love_myself_as_i_am_or_lose_the_weight_paradox/?utm_source=ifttt

As a fat woman, who has been fat my entire life, I of course have that strong urge to lose the weight and become a fitter, healthier, and smaller person. It's something that has always lingered in my mind, even to this day.However with the body positivity movement, encouraging everyone to love themselves as they are, I feel strongly that as a fat woman, I should learn to love and accept my body just as it is. I have definitely learned to love myself in my fat body as I've grown out of some of my insecurities and just by getting older, going to college, and also meeting other people who have similar ideals. Some days, I genuinely love my fat body! And feel a "fuck it if nobody else likes my body! because I like myself and my body today!"But of course, that isn't everyday. Losing the weight and becoming thin is something that I think is going to hang over my head for the rest of my life. My insecurities about my body are probably so deep seated, that in a sense it literally traumatizes me. My desire to be thin is too strong I guess. Basically, I ping-pong from loving myself in my fat body and wanting to be a thin person (probably because I don't actually? love myself in my fat body...idk).​Anyway, I'm mostly wondering if any other fat people out there feel this. That strange paradox of feeling like you want to accept and love yourself as you exist in your fat body, but also having the desire to lose the weight and become thin one day. I tried discussing this with my therapist and she doesn't really understand it--she kind of poses it as making an either/or choice, but I don't really see it as so black and white as that? I don't really understand completely either...I'm trying to contextualize these feelings but I can't, so I would love to hear anyone else's thoughts on this, particularly if you're experiencing the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment